Saturday March 14, 2020
10:00am – 4:00pm
In the Dining Room and surrounds at Tarndie
Instructed by Judith Mitchell
Topic: Continental Knitting
The technique of Continental Knitting is a fabulous way to speed up your knitting, especially when completing a Fair Isle pattern.
Continental knitting, also called German knitting, European knitting, or left-hand knitting, is the process of knitting by holding the yarn in the hand opposite the working needle.
Note: This workshop is designed for those with knitting know-how. You will need to be adept at knitting at an intermediate level to get the most from this workshop.
What you will learn
- Comparing Continental and English knitting techniques
- Continental knit stitch
- Classic continental purl stitch
- Norwegian purl stitch.
- Sample book with yarn swatches of colours obtained using Tarndie Polwarth wool
- Showbag of Tarndie white wool to start dyeing at home
Judith was born and grew up in Namibia, Africa. Her German mother taught her to knit, crochet, embroider and sew the age of five and she has never stopped.
After school she studied Fashion Design and Patternmaking, majoring in the innovative use of textiles in fashion.
In 2000 she was nominated for a National Design Achievement Award in South Africa and moved to Australia in 2001. Judith has been teaching knitting, crochet, sewing and embroidery for over 20 years.
- Polwarth yarn (valued at $25.00)
- Tuition from Judith Mitchell
- Free practice pattern
- Delicious morning tea
- Tour of historic “Tarndwarncoort” – working wool farm .
You will take away
- Practice swatches to take home
- Swatch pattern
Please bring your own
- Needles for 8 ply yarn
- Notebook and pencil
- Lunch to eat in the sunny courtyard or before the fire in the Homestead Dining Room
- Optional: phone to record Judith demonstrating techniques
$135 – to book, please visit the Tarndie Online Woolshop here.